Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I can't believe it. Abbi turns one year old today. I was telling her this morning that maybe it sounds better to be 12 months old. Its a bigger number after all.

This past weekend we had Abbi's party to celebrate her first birthday and hopefully everyone involved had a great time. Even though it rained, we were still able to head outside with the kids and watch them enjoy the water activities. I think Abbi especially likes the slip and slide, given that she's a natural little daredevil.

So much has changed in the year that she's been alive. Yesterday Jenn and I reflected often about where we were in the delivery process throughout the day. Basically all day July 12, 2009 Jenn was in labor. It wasn't until early in the morning that Abbi was finally here. She was from being this tiny little newborn who couldn't do anything, to a little kid who can walk and regularly communicate with us the things that she wants. Its amazing!

She's walking like a champ now, cruising all around the house. I'd say she's down to probably 5% crawling, and thats really more as a last result or use or creative maneuvers, like getting around my legs, or something else in her way. She's into just about everything. Under the cabinets. In the refrigerator. In the trash can. On the sofa. Off the sofa. In a chair. Out of the chair. I mean she's everywhere, all the time. Its really cute to watch her walk around they way she does.

She's getting back to talking again after taking a bit of a break. She's gotta mama, or mom down pretty good. She's got dada down as well. We're confident that she's also picked up wawa to indicate she wants her drink. This morning we were telling her to jump and she was doing her best. She also yells "ma" sometimes at Max, so I think she thinks she's saying his name. They get along well, although I'm still confident Max resents her being there. Hopefully as she gets older and plays with him more, he'll warm up to her.

She's using all those teeth the best she can. She's got 4 up top, 3 on the bottom and one bottom molar. She can eat anything in sight and loves to do so. She is truly as kid just like Jenn and I. We love to eat, and she loves it too. I can't believe the amount of food she's able to put away sometimes.

She's nothing and everything I expected all rolled into one. I never expected that I would love her as much as I do. She's definitely a special little girl to Jenn and I. Its amazing how much things change in just a short year. A year ago we had no kids and were perfectly happy. Today we have Abbi and we're even happier. She brings a new level of enjoyment to our family and certainly to my life. I look forward to the days in the future when she'll want to sit with me to read, play legos, or barbies, or talk about stuff, watch movies, tv, and anything else she wants. But for now, I'm definitely content to enjoy her walking around the house like she owns the joint and helping her learn how to love.

Happy Birthday Abbi. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment